Christmas is yet again just around the corner, and with the weather heating up down under, these Christmas cocktails will both refresh you and get you in the festive spirit.
This cocktail screams Christmas and is quite unique with the scent of rosemary combined with the herbaceous tones of gin. It’s not all herbaceous tones, bringing together a juxtaposition of tart, sweet and pine. It both looks like and smells like Christmas, so how can you go wrong, it makes a wonderful Christmas cocktail?!
Recipe and Image via Creative Culinary
- 1/4 cup gin
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp rosemary simple syrup (1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1 sprig rosemary. Boil water until sugar dissolves, remove from heat, add rosemary and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Remove rosemary and refrigerate simple syrup)
- 2 Tbsp pomegranate juice
- Club soda, chilled
- Rosemary sprigs and pomegranate arils for garnish
- Mix gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and pomegranate juice in a shaker with ice and shake vigorously 10-12 times then pour over ice in a lowball glass
- Top with club soda and stir gently.
- Garnish with a sprig of rosemary and a large spoonful of pomegranate arils
This is a quick and simple sangria made with fresh strawberries, rosé wine, and kicked up with some vodka! It’s light, refreshing, and fruity, perfect for a warm Christmas day.
Recipe and Image via Jennifer Meyering
- 1 bottle (750 ml) rosé wine
- 1 cup strawberry flavoured vodka
- 2 1/2 cups lemon-lime soda
- 1/4 cup stevia or sugar optional
- 8-10 large strawberries hulled and sliced
- In a large pitcher, combine wine, vodka, and 1/2 of the strawberries. Taste for sweetness and add sweetener if necessary, and stir.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 6.
- Just before serving, add Sprite, the rest of strawberries and gently stir.
- Serve over ice with strawberry garnish.
This final Christmas cocktail also looks like Christmas with its cute red and green colours but will require a little more time to prepare. Lucky you’ve got a couple of other options to drink while you’re waiting!
This Moscow Mule is a refreshing spin on the classic.
Recipe via Halfbaked Harvest
- Crushed ice
- 3/4 cup ginger beer
- 1/3 cup pomegranate juice
- 30 -60 ml vodka (depending on your taste)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Pomegranate arils, for topping
- Candied mint, for garnish (recipe below)
Candied Mint Leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Fill your glass with ice.
- Add the ginger beer, pomegranate juice, vodka and lime juice.
- Stir to combine.
- Garnish with pomegranate arils and candied mint.
Candied Mint Leaves
- Gently dip each mint leave in water and then cover in sugar. Place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining leaves.
- Allow the leaves to dry 3-6 hours at room temperature.
- The mint can be made 1 day ahead and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.